Answers to Frequently Asked Questions


What does the Animal Control Division do?
The Animal Control Division enforces the state laws and city ordinances as they pertain to domestic animals.  The Division also assists the public with problems concerning wildlife.

When does the Animal Control Officer (ACO) work?
The Nashua Police Department employs only one ACO.   ACO Bob Langis works Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.

How do I contact the Animal Control Officer?
Please call the Department’s main telephone number at (603) 594-3500.  ACO Langis typically works on the street responding to complaints and patrolling the city.

Why would I need to contact the Animal Control Officer?
There are many reasons that you might need the ACO.   For example, if you see a dog wandering around unleashed, you may leave a message for ACO Langis so he can patrol your area more frequently and attempt to take this dog into custody.  If you see what appears to be a sick animal, such as a cat, dog, skunk or raccoon, it is important that ACO Langis be made aware so he can attempt to capture this animal.    There are also times when a neighbor’s pet is a nuisance, such as a dog that barks continuously.  Our ACO can advise you of the best way to remedy the situation and if necessary, file a complaint.

What is the “leash law”?
In Nashua, NRO 5-5 states:  “It shall be unlawful for any dog to run at large. The term “at large” means off the premises of the owner or keeper, and not under leash or other physical restraint of the owner or a responsible person.”  This means that whenever your dog is off your property, or where you reside, the dog MUST be physically restrained; voice command is not sufficient.

What will happen if my dog is picked up for “running at large”?
If your dog is “impounded” for “running at large,” it will be transported to the Humane Society.   If your dog is not a repeat offender, you will receive advice on how to prevent another occurrence.   The owners or keepers of repeat offenders are subject to court action.

If my dog is impounded, how do I reclaim it?
You will have to go to the Humane Society to claim your pet. You will need to show proof of a current city dog license or post a $25 cash bond. If your dog is not currently licensed you should license the dog at the City Clerks office and bring the license with you when you claim your dog.

Does the “leash law” apply to cats?
Currently there is no law prohibiting cats from “running at large.”

If you see a cat that is unfamiliar to your neighborhood and is without a collar, feel free to bring the cat to the Humane Society for Greater Nashua. We will scan them for a microchip and try to reunite the cat with their owner.

Why do I have to license my dog?
Under state law, RSA 466:1, all dogs over the age of 3 months are required to be licensed with the city or town clerk where the dog lives.

My dog never leaves the house, why does it have to be licensed?
State law, RSA 466:1, requires ALL dogs (over 3 months of age) be licensed. There are no exceptions for dogs that stay inside.

How do I obtain a license for my dog?
Contact the City Clerk’s Office at (603) 589-3010.   You will need a current Rabies Vaccination Certificate, and you will have to pay a licensing fee.  If you can provide a spay/neuter certificate, your license fee will be at a reduced rate.

How often do I have to license my dog?
All dogs must be licensed every year on or before May 1st. If you wait and license your dog after June 1st, you may be subject to late penalties or court action.

What if I own several dogs?
Group licenses are available for owners/keepers of 5 or more dogs.  Please contact your City Clerk for the fee structure.

Do I have to license my cat?
Currently there is no state law requiring cats to be licensed.

Where is the Humane Society?
The Dog Pound is located at the Humane Society, 24 Ferry Road, Nashua, NH.  We can be reached by phone at 603.889.2275


For more info visit